The Lunge Stretch
This is an excellent basic stretch to help open the hips. If you practice Yoga and have difficulty with hip openers, make the Lunge Stretch part of your regular stretching routine. This stretch targets the iliopsoas muscle.
How To Do the Lunge Stretch
- Get onto all fours.
- Bring your right leg forward within your ability. You may have to align your right knee directly under your right hip, unless you have more flexibility, and can bring your leg further back.
- Place your hands on either side of your right foot.
- Hold the Lunge Stretch for 15 to 20 seconds.
- Repeat the stretch on the left side.
How To Modify the Lunch Stretch
- If you have difficulty reaching the mat, place a Yoga block under each hand.
- Place a folded towel under your knee for added cushioning.
Copyright 2013 Irene Pastore and Tour De Core Personal Training
WHO SHOULD STRETCH. Every adult should stretch.
HOW OFTEN SHOULD YOU STRETCH? Stretch everyday. It won’t take you that long. Consistency is key. You’ll see benefits, if you keep up with it.
HOW LONG SHOULD YOU HOLD EACH STRETCH? Stretches are held anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds. If you’re pressed for time, stretch for 10 seconds. Something is better, than nothing. Read the rest of this entry