According to the Food Marketing Institute, just 40 percent of American families eat dinner together, and then, no more than two or three times a week. That’s in stark contrast to just a generation ago when close to 80 percent of families regularly ate evening meals together.
- 1 scoop plant-based unflavored protein powder
- 1/2 cup vegan milk: almond, oats, hemp, soy
- 3/4 tbsp chia seeds
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 tablespoons nut or seed butter: peanut, almond, hazelnut, sunflower
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup or substitute
- In a mixing bowl combine protein powder and milk.
- Add chia seeds, peanut butter, and sweetener.
- Stir and combine well.
- Add in oats. Mix well.
- Scoop mixture into a container. Close container with a lid.
- Refrigerate at least 6 hours or overnight.
- Optional toppings: granola, sliced strawberries, blueberries, sliced peaches.
- Serve as is or spread on whole wheat crackers.
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 28 oz. can chopped tomatoes
- 2 cans chickpeas (rinsed & drained)
- 5 cups spinach, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup quinoa
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp dried parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- Using a cast iron skillet, saute carrots, celery, onions, and garlic in olive oil for several minutes.
- Place the mixture into a large cookpot.
- Add remaining ingredients. Combine well.
- Cover and cook over low to medium heat for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, stirring frequently.
- Cast iron skillet
- Large cookpot with lid
- Optional food processor for vegetable prep