Vegan Tofu Egg Salad Sandwich
This vegan recipe is from PETA (People For Ethical Treatment of Animals). I’ve done some editing on the original recipe, and added a few comments. The recipe contains no animal-derived food, and that’s why it’s called vegan.
1 block of extra-firm tofu, drained
1 1/2 tsp. celery seed
1/2 tsp. cumin
2 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. black pepper
1 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 cup prepared mustard
1/2 cup Veganaise*
3 1/2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 cup chopped scallions
- Crumble the tofu in a large bowl. It should look like the consistency of egg salad and be a bit chunky.
- Add the spices, lemon juice, mustard, Veganaise*, nutritional yeast, celery, and scallions. Stir well with a fork. Make sure the tofu is covered. Taste it while you stir. If you want more spices, add them.
*Veganaise is a dressing that contains no animal products, or soy. If you prefer, you can use your favorite sandwich dressing as a substitute.
HOW TO SERVE
- To make a sandwich, spread the tofu salad onto sliced bread. Add lettuce, sprouts, and a slice of tomato.
- Prepare as a salad side dish with your favorite veggies.
- Top a tortilla with tofu salad. Add sprouts, or your favorite toppings.
Recipe from PETA.org