How, When, and Why To Use Yoga Blocks
Yoga blocks are made from durable, scratch-resistant, lightweight foam, and are shaped like rectangles with rounded edges.
The blocks measure 9″ wide by 6″ high by 4″ deep, and come in multiple colors, with prices ranging from $9.00 to $12.00.
Five Reasons You Need To Use Yoga Blocks
- Prevents struggling, and makes your practice more enjoyable.
- Safely supports and modifies poses.
- Brings the floor closer to you.
- Provides stability, and extra height.
- Braces your weight, and keeps you balanced.
Who Benefits From Using Blocks?
- Pregnant Women
- Anyone with tight muscles, or injuries.
How To Use Yoga Blocks
- Under your hand in Trikonasa (Triangle Pose), and in Arda Chandrasana (Half Moon Pose).
- Under your feet or low back in Setu Bandasana Sarvangasana (Bridge Pose).
- Sitting on a block in Gomukhasana (Cow Face Pose), and Virasana (Hero Pose).
- Under your head when there is excessive arching of your neck in supine poses, as in Ananda Balasana (Happy Baby Pose).
When To Use A Yoga Block
- Can’t reach the mat in Uttanasana (Standing Forward Bend)? You need a block under each hand.
- Using your fingertips instead of the palms of your hands? Use a block under your hand.
- Is your front knee bending in Parivritta Trikonasana (Revolved Triangle)? Use a block under your hand.
- Do your feet hurt in Virasana (Hero Pose)? Sit on a block.
Where To Buy Yoga Blocks
There are many internet sites where you buy Yoga blocks. Three are listed below. These companies also sell a full line of Yoga clothing and equipment.
Copyright 2013 Irene Pastore and Blue Moon Personal Training