Villa Linguine: Holiday Vegan Clam Sauce
During my childhood, our family Christmas dinner was seafood served with pasta, vegetables, and a green salad. Now that I no longer eat sea creatures, I found a great substitute by using mushrooms. See what you think.
VEGAN CLAM SAUCE OVER LINGUINE
• 1 Lb. cooked whole wheat linguine
• 2 to 3 Tablespoons dry arame
• 3 Tablespoons olive oil
• 4 Cloves garlic sliced thin
• 3 Cups sliced mushrooms: Alii Oyster Mushrooms, or Shiitake Mushrooms.*
• 1/4 Cup white wine
• Juice of one-half fresh lemon
• 1 1/2 Cups unsweetened rice or soy milk
• 3 Tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
• 2 Tablespoons olive oil
• Chili pepper flakes to taste
• Chopped fresh Italian parsley
• 2 Tablespoons toasted pine nuts
Prepare pasta. Set aside.
Soak arame in 1/2 cup hot water.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, continue stirring 1 to 2 minutes until soft. Add sliced mushrooms, wine and lemon juice. Saute about 5 minutes.
Add milk, nutritional yeast, 2 tablespoons olive oil, chili flakes and arame with soaking liquid.
While stirring allow the mixture to cook for another several minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
Place cooked linguine in a large serving bowl. Add the Vegan Clam Sauce over the linguine. Toss mixture until the linguine is well saturated with the sauce.
Garnish with pine nuts and parsley.
*Alii Oyster Mushrooms have a nutty flavor, and a resilient firm texture. Shiitake Mushrooms have an earthy fragrance, and a meaty texture.
Copyright 2012 Irene Pastore and Blue Moon Personal Training