Apple Pie Without Added Sugar
In your quest to reduce, or eliminate added sugar, you’ve probably found out how difficult it, is to avoid buying packaged food that isn’t sweetened. The same is true for recipes. Here’s one I found at allrecipes.com, for No Sugar Apple Pie. To read all reviews, check out their site.
No Sugar Apple Pie
- 2 – 9″ pie shells
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 – 12 fluid ounce can unsweetened apple juice concentrate – thawed
- 6 cups sliced green apples (for more sweetness, use a a sweeter variety of apples).
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
- In a small bowl whisk together cornstarch, cinnamon, and 1/3 cup of the apple juice concentrate. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan simmer apples with remaining apple juice concentrate until apples are tender, about 10 minutes. Stir in cornstarch mixture and continue to simmer until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Spoon apple mixture into pastry-lined pie place. Cover with top crust. Seal and flute edges. Cut steam vents on top crust.
- Bake in preheated over for 45 minutes, or until crust is golden brown.
NOTE: Prepared pie crust has added sugar. If you decide to make your own crust without adding sweetener, you might want to use a sweeter variety of apples, instead of tart green apples. Pie crust without sweetener is bitter. Here’s a link to common apple varieties grown in Washington state.
Let me know how it turns out.
Information in this post is educational. It should not be used to replace medical advice from your physician, or other healthcare provider.
Copyright 2012 Irene Pastore, and Blue Moon Personal Training.